• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • 12" steel (or just ferrous) toothed wheel

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Barneel, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Barneel

Barneel Member

Hopefully somebody can advise me on what to search for when looking for a 12" (approx.) toothed wheel made of a ferrous metal.

The disk/wheel must have around about these properties:

12" in diameter
      Approx. 60 teeth around the outer edge
      Min. 5mm width
      Made of a ferrous metal

How would I go about finding something like this? It doesn't have to be anything posh - it's for testing a speed probe so won't actually be interacting with anything physically other than the motor that will rotate it.

Any guidance will be appreciated! Please only share direct links to somewhere if it's UK-based

Thanks

3. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

I would look for a chain sprocket. A chain with 5/8 inch pitch will give you a 60 tooth sprocket that is very close to 12 inches.

5/8 inch pitch is a very common motorcycle chain size so sprockets should be available.

Otherwise, I would draw exactly what you want and contact a company with a water jet and have them cut you a part from a piece of 5 mm thick steel.

4. Barneel

Barneel Member

Thanks Erich - I'll have a look into them!

5. CBL

CBL New Member

Engine Flywheel option

If you have not already found a wheel for your testing, you might look into one of these racing flywheels. They have a 58 tooth count on a 60 pattern (2 removed) at a diameter of 11.02". The tooth width is approximately .26". Material is steel.

http://www.competitionsupplies.com/...flywheels/tilton-porsche-993-996-997-flywheel

click on the small image to enlarge and see the latest version.

Fits Porsche 993/996 with G50 gearbox

6. Barneel

Barneel Member

Thanks. A bit expensive!!! A very pretty flywheel though. I ended up just designing my own one and getting it laser cut out of 8mm mild steel (see AC picture below). Worked a dream.

[​IMG]

Cheers