• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • 6 Degrees of freedom motion platform final year design project

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by mech0, May 2, 2014.

?

6 Degrees of freedom motion platform final year design project

1. continue with topic

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    2. change topic

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    3. add more to the existing topic?

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    1. mech0

mech0 New Member

Hi All,

I Have selected to choose a 6 Degrees of freedom motion platform for my final year design project. the bulk of the project will be based on stress analysis for dynamic and cyclic loading. My question is would this alone be sufficient meat for a final year design project? I was also thinking of adding a V-trio frame, for testing of simultaion before hardware has arrived..any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

3. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

From my experience - the best final year projects are industry related projects - where you are working with a company to solve a real world problem for the company. That is what I did in both my engineering projects.

So I would try and find a company in your area that designs and manufactures these 6 DOF motion platforms - and possibly try and get a project out of that - which may revolve around a new application for one of these devices - and possibly doing some modifications to the structure - to achieve the new objective. (However, you need to remember that these devices - require a multi skilled team to design them - incorporating, mechanical engineering, electronic engineering and software engineering - which will probably limit what you can contribute to).

The problem as I see it - is if you set your own project goals (by working by yourself) - you may find yourself - setting optimistic and unrealistic goals. Not only that - but you will not gain any "real world" experience.

So you can perhaps see why I would recommend working in-conjunction with a manufacturer - and the engineering manager who will no doubt provide good guidance. Be careful that you don't undertake to do too big a scope of work - things take time.

Hope this helps.

4. mech0

mech0 New Member

Thank you for your response. THe company I work for currently, uses six degrees of freedom motion platforms as a means to simulate an idea. How can I use this in a project form

5. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

In very general and simple terms the objective of a final year project is - to extended your theoretical knowledge - and to a detailed level of expertise - and apply this knew knowledge to solve a problem.

Usually this will involve both theoretical analysis - and laboratory testing - to "close the loop" - and to see that what you predicted would happen - did actually happen the way you predicted it would happen - and if didn't - then why it didn't.

At the end of the project - you will have to write up a very detailed report that clearly demonstrates your "in depth" theoretical knowledge of the "new field" you have been involved in - and also how you have solved the "real world" problem. There therefore needs to be "sufficient meat" in this report - so that you can clearly demonstrate to your interviewer - that you have acquired a reasonably in depth knowledge of your particular subject.

You should also have a mentor to provide general guidance on the "project".

As you say that you work for a company that uses 6-DOF motion platforms - I would contact the supplier to discuss the fact that you would like to do a final year project on the structural analysis of a part of these platforms. The engineering manager of that company will most probably be sympathetic to your request - but most importantly inject some realism into the project.

What you don't want to do - is go off and do some analysis - on hypothetical scenarios - with lots of unrealistic assumptions - and subject these scenarios to other hypothetical assessment criteria - which because of your inexperience you may do - without proper guidance.

Hope this is of help.

6. joninstjohn

joninstjohn Member

Really good advice! Totally agree.