• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • A mechanical design, designed to stimulate thought.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Justcurioustwo, May 11, 2021.

1. Justcurioustwo

Justcurioustwo Well-Known Member

A mechanical design, designed to stimulate thought.

The machine attached was created to stimulate your understanding of physical properties of this machine.

There are several mechanical properties associated with this machine.

Your objective is to break up the individual components pointing out the flaws in the design. This is an exercise in fluid and mechanical properties pointing out the flaws using mechanical properties along with fluid dynamics.

To be sure, the machine will not work. Having said that, it is your responsibility to show why it cannot work.

See the attached and then point out the flaws in it.

Good luck

3. Justcurioustwo

See machine attached to evaluate--Use the attached

Attached Files:

4. Justcurioustwo

it is just numbers,
      Just check it out.
      It is a PDF drawing

5. Justcurioustwo

6. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

7. Oilytrunk

Oilytrunk Well-Known Member

That might be the answer you're looking for.

8. Justcurioustwo

My problem is, I am not even sure what it is I am trying to communicate.

The sketch provided is a mechanical drawing of a proposed energy gathering machine. The energy source that keeps the machine running is the lifting force of ten (10) rising balloons all tied together creating a combined torque force of (X).

To keep the machine producing (X) torque over (Y) time requires (Z) energy.

[(X)x(Y)] = energy output

The balloons are 33 feet apart. Air bubbles under water rise at 3 (three) feet per second. The time it will require a bubble from one atmosphere to the next is (33/3) = 11 seconds.

The energy needed to sustain the machine is the energy used to fill the lower balloon ever 11 seconds “assuming” a rising speed of 3 feet per second.

To me it is like solving a puzzle.

I posted it here; hoping it would create a conversation over the technical properties of the machine. Air underwater has a powerful lifting force. One cubic feet of water, underwater has a lifting force of 67 pounds.

Ok, moving on; , I posted it here because I wanted to share the idea with others.

No one is obligated to participate.

I am not looking at this from your perspective. You are using the term “energy” universally when there is more than one form of energy at play here.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. The ultimate objective is to produce high amp/voltage output.

It is a simple comparison of energy in and energy out. The energy in is rising air bubbles. The energy out is determined by the size of the air bubbles and how fast they rise.

I am just exploring the ins and outs of this SeaEngine.

Again, no one is obligated to participate.

9. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Energy out will be energy in minus losses in the system. There isn't enough here to accurately determine what those losses will be, exactly.

In a lossless system, the energy you could extract before the machine grinds to a full halt would be exactly equivalent to the energy required to compress the air to fill the balloons

10. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

Yes there is energy in air filling a bubble deep under water and letting it rise.
      The point Steven keeps making and you seem not to grasp is this.
      It takes energy to take air at atmospheric pressure, compress it, transport it to the ocean depths and let it expand. Since there is friction in the world it takes more energy to compress the gas than you get from letting it expand.
      Your machine won't do anything. It will just sit there.

11. Justcurioustwo

Yes it does.
      Look at it this way-
      The energy it takes to get the air to the bottom is (X)
      There are ten (10) balloons rising while ten are sinking on the other side.
      Once you have completed one cycle, Ten (10) balloons rising you now have the lifting force of 10 balloons tied together rising and pulling together.
      The energy to keep the system running is to fill one (1) balloon at the bottom.
      While you are filling one balloon ten are rising.

It is ten (10) rising together
      Air underwater has a lifting force of 67 pounds per square foot
      Air trapped under water rises, not just sit there.