• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • A356 sand casting

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by mmurning, Mar 20, 2013.

1. mmurning

mmurning New Member

I have a sand casting that I tin plate now and the casting retains its strength, but I would like to try to powder coat this part. I have tried some samples and it appears I maybe overaging the aluminum because its not as strong in my pull test results actually not even close. I get the casting in a t6 condition. I was wondering if I got the casting in a differrent condition could i powder coat and bring to t6 condition at the same time.

Thanks Mark

3. CarolRobles

CarolRobles Guest

1. Molten metal is taken from a furnace and poured into a sand mould.

2. The sand in the form is held together with a binder such as clay and a little water or oil.

3. The mold is made by packaging the sand around a pattern or duplicate of the piece to be cast.

5. First, the sand is packed or rammed around the pattern, then the form is opened and the pattern removed.

6. Sand cores are set into place to create areas in the last piece, if needed.

7. A hole is cut into the sand for the metal to be poured into

8. Channels are created so the steel can flow in the bottom the bottom of the hole in to the place the pattern was.

9. The channels and hole have a variety of names according to their goal.

10. The mold is closed and the molten metal is poured into a bowl or pouring cup.

11. It then flows through a hole in the sand called a sprue.

12. The molten steel flows into the mold cavity through a gate and into the negative space left by the pattern.

13. Following the metal has cooled, the molding is taken from the sand, cleaned and polished.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
    4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Please try to answer the original poster's question rather than cut and paste completely irrelevant info from another website.