• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • About Structural Materials

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Exupery, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Exupery

Exupery Well-Known Member

Since one of my main fields of studies is material development, I was wondering how you guys look into materials vs structures vs structural materials dilemna?

In your opinions, what is the difference between the three concepts and how can you distinguish between the three of them when I offer metamaterials?

3. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Well for me its simple, you have to start at one point. So either choose the material and then choose the structural design. Or choose the design and pick the best material for it. Sometimes it’s a mix of both.

I would normally prefer picking the material first, and that also makes my life easier when I know the material properties I can design better, therefore I would choose structural material.

But that is because I am designing parts that are not entirely new and just have different specifications and/or requirements to fulfill.

If I had to design something ground breaking maybe I would do something differently.