• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Accumulation of fog on rear side of front glass of cars

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by prashanthbs, Sep 25, 2010.

1. prashanthbs

prashanthbs Member

Dear all,
      Accumulation of fog on rear side of front glass of cars is a problem especially while driving through rains.
      Can a simple mechanism/equipment be thought of to wipe off the fog?

3. Michael

Michael Active Member

Most cars employ heaters, to warm up the glass........see, fog happens on windows (or even out in nature for that matter) when warm moisture in the air touches cold glass; it cools down, forming condensate, hence why you see the fog on the windows...now you perhaps could design a wiping system that immediately rids the fog, because heating will take a little longer to rid the fog.

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

A heater system might be the best approach. It might be better to come up with a faster version of that instead of devising a mechanical system.

The other option could be a chemical coating... Any chemical engineers/surface treatment experts here?

5. DesignTechnologist

DesignTechnologist Member

RainX makes a product that uses an anti-fogging agent. I've used it a couple of times.

Years ago there used to be a putty stick that you spread over the windshield and it didn't leave a residue. It worked pretty well but I can't find the name. I'm sure there are other products out there that do the the similar thing. Anyone else know of any great anti-fog products?