• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • alternative e clips, and retaining rings

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by topher5150, Sep 12, 2016.

1. topher5150

topher5150 Member

So I've been assigned with a new project. Currently we have a small light lens that is being held in place with "e" clips these aren't easy to install and are taking up to much time and damaging parts installing, and uninstalling them. I tried external retaining rings in a couple of different sizes, but you need to stretch them all the way open, and the piece being held in place rattles, and I highly doubt a redesign is an option. Is there any alternatives out there that do the same thing, but are a little easier to install?

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of space/other constraints you have on your project, but if you have lots of space, and don't mind spending a bit more, you could try a shaft collar.

4. topher5150

topher5150 Member

5. s.weinberg

Never tried those, but definitely looks like you'll need access to the shaft end. You mentioned a face. Do you remove the shaft from the face when uninstalling? What is your shaft OD and length?
      You mentioned rattle. How tight are the rings supposed to be around the part?

6. topher5150

topher5150 Member

Here's what I'm working with. The retaining ring on the left is to thin causing the part to rattle, but the e clip is getting difficult to put on and take off. The dia of the groove is .28" and .06" tall

Attached Files:

7. s.weinberg

Maybe end the shaft flush with the surface, and use a screw with a short head (e.g. button, pan, or short socket) threaded into the shaft, with the head sized to hold the part?

8. topher5150

topher5150 Member

there's a light bulb that goes into the opening

9. s.weinberg

I meant by each shaft. The bulb would be in the middle, right?

Use the shafts to locate the mating part, but end flush with the surface (just below where your e-ring groove is). The shaft would be threaded, and a screw going into each shaft would hold down the mating part. The head would fit where the end of the shaft is currently (the width of the e-ring slot, plus to the end)

10. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

Get a wave washer and place it under the snap ring that rattles.

11. s.weinberg

Wave washers were one of my first thoughts, too, but the first issue he mentioned was difficulty installing the rings. I think a wave washer would make that aspect worse, not better.