• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Aluminum profile for joining corners

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Gia, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Gia

Gia New Member

Hello everyone!

I am working on the design of the glass frame of a solar collector and while connecting the frames at the corners seems to follow a standard solution (the frames meet at a 45 degrees cut, and we fit the corner piece in the inside frame channel and then most likely stamp it) I don't seem to find any specification for this kind of connecting profile.
      Do you know where I could find specifications for this profile, as they should be standardized I imagine.
      (I have checked a few manufacturers - Sapa, Frame World, Bosch, 8020, etc but I didn't find anything)

The frame is made of Aluminum, and the thickness of this corner piece should be 5mm (the frame channel width) with a little extra for the sharp teeth on the inside surface that are there to prevent it from sliding inside the frame channel. So I don't know how the design for that surface should be - what should be the depth of the teeth, their exact orientation size and such. How much should the teeth come out in relation to the width of the profile (5mm in this case)? Right now they exceed the profile with 0.5 mm but that's just "by eye".

I do hope my link works, you can see a an image of how this piece would be like.
      http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/gia-photo/media/CornerPiece_zpseff93998.jpg.html

If this is not very clear (I know it might be clearer in my head!), please let me know and I can clarify.

It's my first time on this forum, thank you in advance! :)

3. Steve6br

Steve6br Member

Gia

I work with aluminium extrusions quite a lot and what you are after is used in the manufacture of aluminium glazed windows but I don't think this approach is common any more. I have seen it used with picture frames too... problem is that the extrusions are all different so you may not find a "standard" insert. Why not have a batch laser cut from 5mm sheet for your needs. The "teeth" need to go in the sides of the angle rather than on the face but should still work okay. They will need to be zinc plated or similar to prevent oxidation against the ali. Laser work is fairly cheap

4. Swift Arrow

Swift Arrow New Member

Dear Steve,

Greetings! I'm a colleague of Gia's we are working together on this design. Thanks for your response! I got a little confused by your response, and joined this forum to ask you some more questions.

QUOTE=Steve6br;14272]
      I don't think this approach is common any more.
      ... The "teeth" need to go in the sides of the angle rather than on the face but should still work okay. They will need to be zinc plated or similar to prevent oxidation against the ali.[/QUOTE]

We will be custom-extruding this piece (and our frame pieces) out of Al, so zinc plating, cutting, and oxidation won't be an issue, unless you see a problem there?

Can I ask you, what is the common approach? We would like to find a commonly used framing method, even if our application needs a customized adaptation of it.

Finally, we are framing a large glass sheet. This frame will be mounted on the roof, as most solar panels are, and must accommodate for the differing thermal expansion of the glass and the Al. Our plan is to squirt some silicone into the channel wherein sits the glass, and frame it all radially in a framing machine.

Our biggest stumbling block in this is that we haven't been able to locate suitable design guidelines, to know how much clearance to give in the channel, and how much silicone to use. Is there a reference manual for these sorts of things? Are you able to recommend suitable dimensions? Our glass sheet is 1.2 X 2.3 X 0.004 meters.

Thanks alot!

5. Steve6br

Steve6br Member

Panel framing

Can you send me a PM with a model of the solar panel you are trying to frame? I will place a few options for framing around it and send them back? It is probably the quickest and saves pages of descriptions in the forum! I am using Solidworks but can supply other 3D formats if you prefer. Steve