• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • anti - bonus tolerance GD&T

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by maniacal_engineer, Apr 28, 2011.

1. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

In GD&T there is the concept of bonus tolerance - the idea that as a feature of size deviates from MMC that it can be less perfect in placement or form. I am making a fixture type thing - a slot that holds a part centered - and would like to do the opposite. In other words if the slot is narrow (MMC) it can float around more, but as the slot widens and the mating part gets sloppier in the slot, then the slot position tolerance would need to get tighter.

How would this be done? If I just use LMC modifier will that do it?

3. jthornburgh

jthornburgh Member

yes that would be LMC

4. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

Thanks

I have taken GD&T classes, but haven't used some of the techniques for a while so I am a little rusty in some areas.

5. doctorx

doctorx New Member

Don't think of it as anti-bonus. Bonus tolerance and the material conditions are framed the way they are for such fit issues. Think of the bonus being at the opposite condition of that specified.

6. QuickTol

QuickTol Member

Old post, but for those who read this later: It is called LMC (Least Material Condition). As the feature deviates from MMC, it is permitted more tolerance. LMC is typically used to maximize wall thicknesses, whereas MMC is used to promote fix.