• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • any good books recently?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Gustavo Woltmann, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Gustavo Woltmann

Gustavo Woltmann New Member

Just read George Orwell's "1984" and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" back to back [​IMG] A real paranoia-fest. Great stuff?

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Now you're talking. Brilliant but terrifying books. Love Orwell's other stuff too. My favorite author by far. I've been meaning to check out a book called Kallocain. Another cheerful book about a future of misery and paranoia!

4. edleit

edleit New Member

Dive into Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" - quite a prescient treatment of the impact of government intervention/meddling in the industrial complex and the resultant chaos (economic collapse) that ensues .:eek:

Another scary story is "The Overton Window", by Glenn Beck, which highlights the effect of incremental manipulation of public perception as a tool to direct and alter policy. In other words, how nudging people along in baby steps over time can ultimately cause huge strides to be made in a direction that was never previously considered remotely plausible/possible :eek:.

One does not need to subscribe to a particular political viewpoint to appreciate the ramifications of each of these works. That's one of the things I find fascinating about them.

-Ed

5. design-engine

design-engine Member

we are way past what George Orwell imagined. My clients work for NSA

http://design-engine.com/category/book-reviews/ I do a book review each year or so. I suggest reading Home: A Short History of Private Life. by bill bryson. Read my book review. Great read for an engineer looking to make a difference.

6. Ana

Ana Member

My favorite one if 'to kill a Mockingbird'.That's the unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it.

7. crabshusk

crabshusk Member

I am curretnly reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles