• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • any good books recently?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Gustavo Woltmann, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Aleithia Toews

Aleithia Toews New Member

I took a 20th century lit class over the summer and we read If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino. I highly recommend this novel, I even kept it for my personal collection rather than selling it back to the school bookstore.

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I'm going to lower the quality of book here. I do enjoy classics from time to time, but I recently read, 'The price of valor' by Django Wexler, the third in the 'Shadow Campaign' series.
      Taken individually, the books are quite good, but taken as a series, they are a step above. What does it is that the real motivations of the movers and shakers are shrouded in mystery, and they are well written and fleshed out. There is indication that the hero from the first couple of books might ultimately be the villain. One of the main villains of the first book now appears to be an ally to the good side, and there are even hints that the main antagonists might not be so bad.

EDIT: A few other books that spring to mind, though I haven't read them recently:

James Clavell's Shogun. A sweeping historical fiction set in feudal Japan. Put it this way. It's over 1100 pages, and I read it first when I was about 10 years old. It's that good, and I've read it several times since. The only 'bad' part is that, after 1100 pages, he STILL doesn't wrap up the story properly. It's almost like he gave up, and just sums up the rest of the story in an epilogue.

Ben Bova's near-future sci-fi. Once he introduced aliens, I kind of lost interest, but Bova's works are excellent, well-researched, and completely plausible. A few that I remember are Powersat, Moonwar, and the Asteroid War trilogy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    4. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

whats it about? how much would you rate it interms of simplicity?
      is it recommended for newly entering engineering students?

5. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

It's interesting how we're probably closer to Brave New World (people don't care about the dictatorship because they're too distracted with smartphones and Netflix) rather than 1984 (people actively oppressed by a totalitarian government).

I just read a book called 'On The Psychology Of Military Incompetence' that basically tried to figure out why certain military leaders messed up so badly.

The guy had way too much interest in Freud but it made some really interesting points. For instance, he had a theory that those with fragile masculinity are drawn to the military but this often serves to further ingrain that feeling.

Also interesting was the research that those more likely to follow authoritarian ideologies (such as the Nazis) are likely to come from parents who were insecure about their social status during the the child's upbringing, and that they are more likely to believe in 'magical determinants to an individual's fate'. I feel like you could find examples of this on both the far Left and Right (without trying to get into politics!)

6. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I am the second time I read the "Master and Margaret"
      Mikhail Afanasyevich Bulgakov

I recommend you read this book =). The author wrote it while dying and abusing morphine to ease the pain. An incredibly unusual book, where the main positive characters are the devil himself, his minions and the fallen woman with her lover).
      This very positive novel is much more interesting than Bulgakov's mental agony.

7. john12

Master and Margarita? Ah, one of my favourite bands sing about this but I've never read it so I'll put it on my list.

8. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Did any of you read the subtle art of not giving a fuck?

It sounds like a vulgar, non-sense book. But honestly somethings we see everyday, some situations that we face in our life, and we actually know how to think about them. We know how to not give a fuck. But usually we are unable to do so.

This book kinda tells you its okay if you don’t give a fuck. Its kinda like a consolation book. I remembered all the past mistakes and terrible decisions I have made while reading this book and honestly, I feel much better about each and every situation.

It’s a book that sort of took me out of overthinking and making myself sad. Its not a book that has solutions to your problems. But it gives you the strength to go through them.

Very good read. I would give it a 5/5. And recommend anyone who overthinks a situation Or feels bad about previously taken decisions, must read this book.

9. john12

I'll put that on my (giant) list too.

A reply I wrote in another thread just reminded me of a great little short called The Road Not Taken by Harry Turtledove. You can find it online at the link below.
      I don't want to a ruin it but it's basically about an alien invasion where the aliens have developed technology in a different way to us....

https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf