• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Automated T-Shirt Folding Machine

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by jojo, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jojo

jojo New Member

I have been tasked with coming up with a design for a T-Shirt folding Machine. Essentially, an automated machine must take the t-shirts from the end of an oven (where ink which is initially applied on the t-shirt is cured) fold them and place them into the bagging machine. The project brief reads as follows:

The shirt folding operation is that the sleeve/side are folded backwards, followed by the bottom front being folded under. The final folded size is 350mm high x 250mm wide, with the front transfer outwards. It is anticipated that the machine designed will only accept the shirts in one orientation. This orientation can be specified by the designer of the machine, but it must be assumed that the last printing operation on the shirt will be on the front (i.e. the shirt will arrive front upwards). Account must be taken of different sizes of shirt as an input (S-XL), although the folded size remains the same, furthermore, changeover between sizes should be easily and quickly achieved.

The oven exit is an overhanging flat shelf 1m above the floor, and the conveyor can be stopped to ensure the shirt is in a known position.

The folded shirt should be posted through a "letter box" into the bagging machine. The position of the bagging machine is optional, and can be specified by the designer. Also the shirt may be posted "Collar up" or "Collar down" (this may help!)

As the shirts only require folding after the final print, the machine should be easily movable.

It is required that the folds are positive, solutions that involve purely draping are not acceptable

My solution is to use slits on a conveyor belt carrying the shirts from the oven to various stations. Two slits would would work to flip the shirt from front upwards so that it is facing downwards. Then once the collar passes a sensor the t-shirt will be clamped by L-shaped brackets, and the folding process is carried out.

I was wondering if my solution is viable? And if there are any other solutions any one can think off? Thanks a lot.

3. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

4. LinkedIn Gopher

5. LinkedIn Gopher

Doesnt everyone fold their T-Shirts that way??? LOL...just kidding..that is amazing..thanks for sharing!

Source

6. gunnwell

gunnwell New Member

it's a good idea

7. kevin136

kevin136 Well-Known Member

Seems that the idea from "Sheldon"(TV play <The Big Bang Theory>)
      :cool: