• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Bearing Anti wearing type

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Mekanimo, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Mekanimo

Mekanimo Member

Hi ,

I'm working on improvement of a screw conveyor that conveys dust (raw meal: limestone powder & Schist) in cement factory.

The intermediate bearing (sleeve bearing) is being replaced every 3 months (2000 hours) due to wearing failure which costs a lot.

Please suggest methods to prevent wearing rather than changing the bearing material we already tried that , I am suggesting sealing but don't know which type , so anyone has an idea please do share.

Thanks

3. Mekanimo

Mekanimo Member

Ok I suggest also a labyrinth seal , we may cut many grooves in the bearing and cover this grooves by rubber or asbestos , what do you think?

4. marine&hydraulic

marine&hydraulic Member

What speed is this conveyor running at, what weight is on the conveyor,sounds as if you have a dust issue but need more details ..photograph even

5. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

if its only failing from ingress of contamination - Better sealing is really the only solution, all bearings hate dust/debris getting into the gaps!

labyrinth sealing up to IP56 and then positive pressure in the outboard seals ?

6. vic.blackall

vic.blackall Well-Known Member

A simple labyrinth seal with compressed air supply to the bearing side of the seal.

7. levnayman@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Hi, in the past we used alloy wear resistant plates from GRABE. It depends of application of course. GRABE is a German company
      specialized in making such products. Look it up on their website.

Good luck, Lev Nayman, Mechanical Engineer at Woodings Industrial

8. Mekanimo

Mekanimo Member

Thanks but I looked up for GRABE i couldn't find it , are you sure of the name?

9. levnayman@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Grabe

Hi, Yes I am absolutely sure. We still have an agreement contract with Grabe.
      Try this link and click to translate this page because it is in German.
      http://grabe-kg.de/index.php?id=verschleisschutz-translator

lev nayman

10. Mekanimo

Mekanimo Member

11. thirei57

thirei57 New Member

Applying overpressure inside/around the bearing, elaminates the influence of cement and dust from the outside on the wear of the bearing. In combination with a narrow (labyrinth) seal gap, the necessary outward bound air flow can be reduced drastically. Since I do not know the design, I'm not sure if there are possibilities to implement such a feature.

Good luck ..., Thijs Reijnders, Mechatronic system designer, Philips Innovation Services