• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Best way to machine two covers of gears (Bores)

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by wolf1o, Apr 10, 2011.

1. wolf1o

wolf1o Member

Hello,

I have to decide and give dimensions to two covers of a helical gear box.
      The pinion and the second shaft (with the gear) are supported on bearings on each side. (cover)

Does anyone have a recomendaiton on the best way to do it?
      I thought on rought (or small) bore diameters of each cover and then assembly of the two covers and final machining of the two bores on each part.

Is there a simpler but still good option as this one? (Maybe less complex..In my way I think there are at least two stages: 1. each part machining. 2. Assembly and bores final machining 3. final machining of each part on the inside - chamfers etc.)

Thanks!

3. mba motorsport

mba motorsport Member

Hi there, the only reliable way to ensure good alignment is to line bore after assembly.

but you need to make sure when you re-build with the gears in they go back in exactly the same place so you need some dowels in the 2 halves.

And you may have problems with end float / sealing the cases tolerancing.

The other option we use in racing is to use a cage with the gears in that fits inside the casings.

the cage holds the alignment and the cases just fit around the outside. for racing having the gears in a cassette / cage means quick change but it does mean accurate repeatable alignment.

hope this helps.

geoff

4. wolf1o

wolf1o Member

Hi Geoff, Thanks for the reply.

Yes of course in the case of this solution, i'll need to use dowel pins to align both covers.

Your "cage" idea sounds really interesting! Is there a chance you can send me some picture of something similar?
      I won't be using that for this idea as it sound more expensive and complex, but it does sound very interesting!

Thanks!