• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Big Mother is watching you...

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Pete, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Here's something that makes me have an internal argument with my self...

Introducing Sparki, Spotti and Robuddi

[​IMG]

While personal GPS tracking devices are hardly new - outdoorsy types use them to not get lost so often, and worried relatives can use them to keep track of elderly and infirm family members who can't go wondering off on their own. But this is the first time I’ve come across a GPS tracking devices for kids...

[​IMG]

The idea is that you attach one of these little characters to your child’s coat / bag etc as they go off to school and you get to track their every move - make sure they don't skip class, take 'the long way home' or say 'Yes' to the man with sweets.

When the sensor stays still for a period of time, the parent is alerted and can come and rescue the child from a hole or gutter. Presumably they will also turn up to rescue them from class rooms every hour on the hour as they put their bag down....

If your children decide to turn these trackers off - the parent can turn it back on remotely!

There is also a development planned to attach the sensors to cars to record the position and speed of your car as your teenage son/daughter takes it for a spin!

Knowing where your kids are and what they're doing to make sure they're safe - I totally get it.
      Being paranoid and over protective - stifling your kids’ freedom and chance to learn from their own experiences - really bothers me!

Is this product a genuinely good idea is a world where bad people do exist, or case of product designers taking advantage of broken Britain paranoia??

Discus.

3. kenny82

kenny82 Well-Known Member

Bit scary actually, Pete. Anyway everyone actually owns a mobile phone and everyone can be tracked by one, so I suppose it's nothing new

4. bkemper

bkemper Member

Unless you are going to chip your kids, it can be worse than nothing at all as its a false sense of security. Predators will know this technology long before your typical parent does. Kids that are willfully disobedient to this degree (ditching school) will have it figured out quickly, too. Just leaving the doohickey (yes, I'm very technical) in a "good" spot to spoof the overwatch will give the bad guy (or child) all the slack they need. If its not a one-way trip (bad person taking the kid), then the delinquent simply leaves the doohicky at the right friend's house to be "good" and then does what they want....in either case the parent or other overwatch is reassured since the data is "good."

5. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Cuz chaining em up in the back yard just like in the good ole days is frowned upon now... Just like spankings... I think the mantra now a days is sure have kids, if they screw up its everyone esles fault but the parents..

My 2 cents... err shillings... pense?... farthings?