• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Blocking a smartphone from taking pictures in certain location?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by john12, Dec 15, 2018.

1. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I'm not sure if this is the best sub-forum to post in but wasn't sure where else to put this. I recently was out on my bike and went past a military base that apparently works a lot with the NSA

I decided to take a photo because the base has some pretty unusual buildings and looks really strange compared to the landscape around it.

My phone was working as normal - Google Maps and some other apps were running, and my camera seemed to work as normal - the picture appeared on the screen/viewfinder... but when I pressed to take a photo the entire phone just crashed and turned off.

I tried some more times and the same thing kept happened. The phone worked normally, except when I tried to take the actual photo, then it switched itself off.

Earlier on I'd taken photos of other things as normal, and later, once I was away from the base it worked normally again.

Has anyone heard of this? How is it possible to just specifically block the use of the camera app? I'd get it if my phone just didn't work at all, or if my cell service was blocked.

Any ideas?

3. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

This is normal)
      Do you use Apple?

My friend, a programmer, worked on a system that found a phone, and it could be turned off remotely and completely clear its memory)
      I think that such systems are developing not only in Russia.

You can repeat this attempt several times and maybe interesting people will get to know you)))

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    4. john12

It was on Android!

I think, in hindsight that it's to do with the temperature. It was really cold where I was (maybe not for you, but cold for England! ;) ) and apparently taking a photo requires a big spike of power so the phone just turns off.

5. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

All my phones and my friends' phones worked fine to -25 ° C. At a lower temperature, the touchscreen worked poorly, but none of them turned off))
      Lithium polymer battery loses energy at very low temperatures.
      I think that the climate of England is not enough to turn off the phone, I think that this is possible in the Arctic at -50C and below

6. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

My friend and I went hiking last weekend and stupidly he took his laptop with him (god knows why). And it also uses a li-po battery. He did not use it when we were at the top but the laptop was running on standby. The temperatures were -9 degree C upto -3 degree C.

Once we got back down from the mountain, the laptop suddenly became really slow. It took 15 minutes to just boot. And after 2 or 3 uses the laptop wouldn’t start at all anymore. Later on he had to change the HDD because somehow the temperatures damaged it.

But phones don’t have HDD they use solid state devices. And maybe that’s why it would just shut off and then it would work again after a while. But I think the temperatures affect the memory of the phone and when camera tries to access it, the phone just shuts off as a precaution.

7. john12

For your friend's laptop - maybe that was condensation? Often if it's really cold and you bring it inside you get loads of moisture forming on it (I've had it cameras before - luckily no major damage). I think you just have to leave it a while to warm up properly before switching it on.

For the batteries and temperatures - yeah, maybe you're right. I've had battery issues with cameras in about minus 25. They just stopped working. But if I took the battery out and put it in an inside pocket for a while it then worked okay again for another few shots until it needed warming up again.

8. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Yes actually. Thinking about it again what you says makes more sense. If we were to have condensation and then a short circuit as a result, it would explain the burning of the HDD. But then the HDD did not burn it just became very slow.

9. Bill Toulas

Bill Toulas Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Android Photos app has had geo-tagging capabilities for quite a long time now, and this means that when the photo applet is launched, your phone automatically activates its mapping and geolocation features. That is unless geo-tagging has been disabled, but still, I wouldn’t swear it remains deactivated. Now, it is possible that the military has asked for a specific location-based blacklisting that messes with your phone’s photo app, but I have personally never heard of such thing before. It is technically feasible though, so it’s not exactly a mind-blower. Accessing the crash logs of your device would be the best bet to help us figure out what’s going on.

10. john12

I'll go back in warmer weather and try it again. If I'm not under surveillance already

11. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert