• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Boat Trailers

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Francois, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Francois

Francois New Member

Hi

My dad and I are considering building a new trailer for our inflatable motor boat (AKA Rubber Duck, etc.). The old trailer is a not a great design as there is a square tube running through the center and the boats keel is resting on rollers on the square tubing. Then there is rectangular tubing welded on the sides of the square tube to support the axel and the boat's under sides. Its not an A-Frame design. Did weld in supports to support the square tube as it was busy cracking in the where the first rectangular tubes was welded either sides. its been like that for more than 3 years.

See photos:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

We are leaning towards to use C-channel reason being that galvanizing the trailer will be easier and running wires etc easier.

In university I did strength of material all the way but in the industry I only done simple beams and columns calculations. I have a drawing of what the shape of the trailer chassis is and the boat keel will rest on rollers and the bottom sides on cushions. The shape will be of an A-Frame an then transform to rectangular.

Now how do I go by doing the calculations to select the correct size C-channel?

regards

3. NelsonAGilli

NelsonAGilli New Member

Well I am also making a boat there is some problem whit it what you are referring for making motor boat?

4. NelsonAGilli

NelsonAGilli New Member