• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Bonding Polymer to Vitrified Ceramic

Discussion in 'Joining & fabrication' started by Pete, May 6, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Yet another prod in the dark for help:

Can anyone recommend an adhesive for bonding a polymer to Vitrified Ceramic?

Haven't got to the point where I have specified the polymer for the components, so that's not too important. The Vitrification process also essentially turns the ceramic into a sort of glass. So a polymer-glass adhesive would be just as good.

ALSO would such an adhesive be able to take up quite large tolerance 'gaps' between the faces (ceramic manufacture is a bit hit and miss in terms of shrinkage and accuracy)

Thanks in advance!

3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Are you looking for an adheasive to secure the tile during vitrification? What environments are we looking at? Is this a bathroom remodel? :)

-Mark

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Its for use in a bathroom - I need to bond plastic components to a ceramic toilet basin. So the adhesive and polymer need to be very resistant to water and bleach. Also UV stability could be a problem - would rather it didn't go yellowo after 6 months!

5. mvalenti

Hmmm, Cyanoacrylate? There are some gel types that have gap filling charachteristics.. Can the plastics be designed in such away as to hide the bond joint? This opens a lot of doors for adheasive choices.

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I think it would be possible to design the components in a way that should hide the glue - at any rate, I don't want it to squirt out around the edge of the join, so a bit of careful design work could solve that.

I've been pointed in the direction of a 2-part structural adhesive called Macroplexx (other glues are available...), which seems to tick a lot of boxes, but need to consider 'anti-microbial' properties to stop it going black and nasty - even though it shouldn't be seen I don't want it growing nasty stuff where you can't get to it!

7. mvalenti

On a cursurary look, that stuff seems pretty good. Have you looked at any Marine grade adheasives? Contact 3M they may be able to guide you also. They are very responsive, at least the people I have delt with are.

-Mark

8. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Will do! Thanks for your help!

9. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

That is usually my instinctive reaction when I hear the word "adhesive" :D

Good luck Pete, let us know what type of glue you decide to stick with.

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I just heard all 427 forum members let out a collective groan....

11. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Sorry I couldn't resist it :D