• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Books on Internal Combustion Engine design

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by coolgoose, May 28, 2013.

1. coolgoose

coolgoose Member

Hi Everyone,

Can someone point me to a good resource on designing an internal combustion engine? I am looking for books that design engineers use for designing IC engines.

Little about me, I am a software engineer with a passion for IC engines. Recently I have restored a 1972 Honda CB750 and got hooked on IC engines from then on. I would love to learn more about how designers design these IC engines that power motorcycles, automobiles etc

Thanks a lot for your time!
      Coolgoose

3. james.coaley

james.coaley New Member

Hello,

About me: I wrote a dissertation on an engine related project and am now trying to begin a career in the automotive industry.

I've not found a step by step guide to engine design out there are detailed design considerations for each part of an engine could be a book in itself.

I used the book Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines by Richard Stone (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Internal-Combustion-Engines-Richard/dp/023057663X) lots as it gives a good overview of all aspects of the engine and isn't difficult to read. The book Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals by John Haywood is similar but older.

I would recommend the book by Stone as it would give you a good insight into the complexities of a modern internal combustion engine and describes many of the parameters that an engine designer would use.

Hope this is useful.

James

4. coolgoose

coolgoose Member

Thank you James for your response. I read the book by John Haywood. As you pointed, it seemed bit outdated. I really liked the chapter where he discusses Piston & Cylinder geometry. That gave me more insight on how to get the geometrical measurements of the IC engine from abstract requirements such as say, require XX amount of HP etc. Unfortunately it is only few pages in a chapter were devoted for it. I am looking for some resource that talks about design from requirements perspective. The requirements can be some thing like: I want to design an IC engine with XX HP, XX fuel efficiency etc.

5. coolgoose

coolgoose Member

6. Oldie Learner

Oldie Learner New Member

An Interesting Book, though not a Design Manual

I am also designing an engine, though it is a tiny one at 5cc. single cylinder two-s
      I am also designing an engine, it is a tiny engine of 5 cc. It is a two-stroke "Diesel", for model aircraft.

My suggestion of a book does not match your need for Design books. However, it is very informative and entertaining to a technical person.

It is:
      The Development of Piston Aero Engines by Bill Gunston.

I also believe that any engine enthusiast should read of the engines of WW2 and Formula 1, as the history of engines is interesting and relevant.

The Rolls-Royce Merlin of WW2 was superlative.

I will keep your request in mind and if I find anything useful on large engines, I will send you the information.

Regards

7. coolgoose

coolgoose Member

Thanks a lot for the response Oldie Learner!

I am also in the process of designing a small two stroke engine and hence all the need for design books. I have added the book you mentioned in my amazon wishlist. I found this book very helpful with math for engines design: http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Math-Han...F8&qid=1369934506&sr=1-3&keywords=engine+math

Also, I have ordered the "Vehicular Engine Design" book. At least from the table contents perspective the book looks promising. I will post back to the thread once finish reading the book with my feedback. Hopeful it should help someone who are in similar need as mine.

8. coolgoose

coolgoose Member

I found "Vehicular Engine Design" very helpful. Honestly I think it is the only book that was written keeping engine designers in mind. I mean, things like how do you take bunch of requirements (non technical) from sales folks and then arrive a engine design that satisfies all the requirements. I learnt from that book, that there is no such thing as optimum engine design. You have compromise a lot to arrive at a design that meets your requirements. A good engine design depends on whether you made good compromises or bad compromises during the design phase. The book is expensive but after reading it, I felt it is worth paying every penny of it. The book doesn't delve deep into topics like thermodynamics but always provides references at the end of each chapter that goes more into the theory.