• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Born an engineer or become one?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Born an engineer or become one?

1. Born an engineer

73.3%
    2. Become an engineer

26.7%
    1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Do you think you are born an engineer or do you become an engineer?

Personally I think engineering is a mindset. I've always been fascinated with how things work/finding out how things work and coming up with my own ideas. I couldn't imagine myself doing something non-technical or non-creative. Therefore I have voted for "born an engineer".

3. PierArg

PierArg Well-Known Member

4. Cenobytez

Cenobytez New Member

Got to agree, you are born with the interest in all things mechanical, and it only gets worse when you get a little bit of knowledge and start "playing"

5. Bulcsú

Bulcsú Member

And if you are lucky your job is to continnue this game

6. mjshawver

mjshawver Member

Agreed as well. Being exposed to opportunities to feed your interest in how things work as a child also helps. My dad was a engineer and had a great garage full of tools and stuff to build with, so did my grandfather. I was always taking things apart (and sometimes putting them back together). My dad would bring home scrap paper from work which were old spec sheets of components. My brother and I would use this for drawing paper, as we both loved to draw. My brother, who later became a graphic designer/artist, would focus on the white side, where I would first spend time looking at the other side of the sheets...I became the engineer.

7. vidgolob

vidgolob Active Member

I think it helps to have the right mindset and certain traits from the beginning, but you can overcome that setback in a number of ways. Although there are some people who are just not engineer material no matter what they do.

8. Ligier

Ligier New Member

Quite an interesting topic. It's my opinion that some are born with mechanical interests which lead them on to be good engineers and designers and I have worked with some that have all the book learning which enables them to tell you where you have gone wrong but are unable to produce a good design themselves.
      To add a little jollity into the thread and I am sure most of you have seen this before but to those of you who have not, there is a youtube Dilbert cartoon that amused me when I first saw it.
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vHhgh6oM0

9. kiran gowda

kiran gowda New Member

become one..

Accroding to science the brain work efficiently if the input is nutritious. . Which leads better usages of brain. So il vote for "become one"

10. maki23

maki23 New Member

I voted for become one!

I have a same opinion:)

11. swampwater

swampwater New Member

where would having a parent as an engineer fall under? The born- from genetics or the become - from the parent focusing the child on math, science, and being involved in the parents tinkering with things?