• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • "Britain needs to copy the French and love its engineers"

Discussion in 'Mechanical Design news & events' started by GarethW, Jul 28, 2010.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Source: Telegraph
      Date: 27 July 2010
      Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/7909 ... neers.html

3. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Re: "Britain needs to copy the French and love its engineers

The man he has a point! Good article - particularly like his theory of taking inexperienced graduates who haven't been told what you can and can't do yet! In my experience, industry is never quite as open and exiting as the course you did to get here!

One teeny little point would be the nuclear power arguement -are dyson working on a way to treat and make safe all of the radioactive waste from this fleet of power stations? Forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't the UK the largest user of offshore windfarms? Now that I can get behind - yes the concrete foundations give off a hell of a lot of CO2, but i thought i saw a concept for a floating wind turbine? Wave power and tidal power should also be explored more (i'm sure they already are) where natural habbitats aren't screwed up.

I'd like to see dyson use his admitedly brilliant design team to design something brilliantly world changing for the UK along those lines. Bladeless fans are great, and i still get an unhealthy enjoyment from watching people waggle their hands in and out of the Blade hand dryers to little effect (10 seconds people - nice and slow!).

A little off topic maybe, so to sum up. Nice article, completely agree (although there is something much cooler about being part of an unknown minority!), and i look forward to Dyson solving the worlds energy crisis!

Keep up the good work Mr Dyson!

4. kenny82

kenny82 Well-Known Member

good article. Is nulear such a bad thing? it's very cheap and the waste can be recycled. it's just that everyone gets scared when they hear nuclear mentioned :shock: :shock:

5. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

You can recycle nuclear waste? I didn't know that... What do they do with it? Florecent green fridge magnets? :lol:

6. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

That's a worry I have one of those....

7. Klaus

Klaus New Member

I have a friend who studies
      Power Technology at Nottingham University. According to him, the amount of things people are unaware is scary. Ignorance is the worst thing in our society... At the moment, I'm researching about this course and looking forward to start asap. Their installations are outstanding! Engineering should be more appreciated and is the future in many aspects, specially for our salvation...