• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'SolidWorks' started by Rgreenwood, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Rgreenwood

Rgreenwood New Member

Hello,

I am new to this site, i hope you can help. I am building a model Titanic as a project over winter.

My plan was to build the parts in Soildworks and print parts using a 3d printer.

I have manged to learn how to make a number of parts from help from here and on youtube :)

But im now stuck and have been trying for days to make this part.

I think i need to use a Lofted boss/base ( i think haha)

This is the part i am trying to build. Has anyone got any ideas, or a link to a video that may help?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
      [​IMG]

3. Rgreenwood

Rgreenwood New Member

Part im stuck with

Attached Files:

4. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member

I think you can use a loft with some guide curves. Make your large horizontal section, and the top of the smaller tube. Create a few 3D curves of the profile it should follow. I did a quick test with one guide curve center to center, and two more horizontal from the center at either end of both profiles. Had 'okish' results, that I think you could get right with a bit of finessing.

5. Rgreenwood

Rgreenwood New Member

Thank you very much for this! I will go and try again now! I will upload an image of the part I got to.

If I am to print it on a 3D printer down the line, do I need to use two surfaces? I created the base on the bottom plane and the opening funnel on the right plane and joined them up. :) I don’t know if I am well off with this :)

Thanks again

Rob

6. Rgreenwood

Rgreenwood New Member

after a day :-( im still a little stuck... vent 1.png vent 2.png vent 3.png

7. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member

You're thinking you can only loft in a straight line. Open your mind :p

Here's my quick attempt:

upload_2017-12-8_13-8-27.png

The key to this is a loft for the top bit. The bottom is easy.
      I'm not sure what was strictly required, but I threw in a bunch of guide curves, and the profile at either end:
      upload_2017-12-8_13-9-27.png

This probably works fine if you have the hollow portion in the profile, but I decided to be 'lazy' and make it solid. Once the two halves were made, I shelled it, removing the end faces, and...voila, a part :)

Good luck

EDIT: I think you can accomplish a similar thing if you sweep with guide curves. Probably much easier too, as I imagine it's less likely to twist in weird ways, as lofts do.

8. nguyendu

nguyendu New Member

I can not help you, sorry