• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Can I trust Nitronic 60 not to gall

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by yadnom1973, May 24, 2018.

1. yadnom1973

yadnom1973 Active Member

I have an assembly with multiple aluminium parts that have stainless steel levers threaded into them. The parts clamps onto one another and the lever is repeatedly loosened and tightened to adjust their positions.

Some levers mate with stainless bolts and they immediately ran into the issue of the parts galling and seizing up. To prevent stripping the aluminium parts will have insets that would also of been stainless but this is now oblivious not going to work.

There are may coatings and anti-galling lubricants that are very effective but they are designed with assembly and single use in mind, repeated use, as with these lever, would wear away any coatings.

As you have probably gathered I need the parts to be as corrosion resistant as possible as the unit is used out doors regularly. I have been over all the parts and can replace the stainless threaded studs in the levers with brass studs instead, this will solve many of the problems but there are still the ones that fit into the aluminium parts.

So I’ve been looking at thread inserts. There are phosphor bronze Helicoils. My concern in putting bronze insets into aluminium is stripping. I was under the impression that in this use bronze is not significantly stronger than aluminium?

I also found Helicoils made from an alloy called Nitronic 60. This is a stainless steel but develop among other things specifically to resist galling. The product page sings it praises as a magic bullet solution and I want to believe them but again the repeated stress of tightening and loosening may be outside of what's expected of the this alloy.

Dose anyone have any experience with this anti galling stainless Nitronic 60? Could it really be trusted not to gall in this kind of application?

And any other advise is always welcome.