• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Can you categorise a designer with two simple questions?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Luke Alden, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Luke Alden

Luke Alden Member

Hi all

I’m interested in your thoughts on one of the features of an app and job board that I am involved with. (I think that with some development it could be a really useful tool, but what do the rest of you think?)

I’ll go over the basics of how it works and give you our thoughts on it before leaving the forum open for your comments.

In the app we ask the designer to rate themselves against two simple questions in order to gauge what kind of a designer they are.
      The questions are: -
      1. Are you more of an Artist, or an Engineer? Do you like to make your designs beautiful or work the best way possible?
      2. Do you like focusing on ideas or details? Do you like to come up with brilliant new ways of doing things or do you like finding and completing all of the finer points of the design?

Once we have these ratings we can plot them on a chart similar to the one shown below to see where they sit on our compass.

For example if you say you are more focused on engineering and ideas you will show in the bottom right corner of the graph.

We believe that a designer in this corner is someone that likes coming up with creative ways to solve mechanical and technical problems.

Having said that though it really is open for discussion what it means to be in each corner.

What do you think? Can you categorise a designer like this, even if it only gives you a rough idea about them?

[​IMG]

3. Muhamed Swaleh

Muhamed Swaleh New Member

I find this very interesting, though would like to suggest some changes on the questions, if can remove the first part of the question, so that the question can be open. What I think most probably, the person in the interview is an engineer hence 95% likely to tend to the engineering rather than art side (even if he is more of artistic). This will distort the analysis. So the question should just read
      1.Do you like to make your designs beautiful or work the best way possible?
      Do you like to come up with brilliant new ways of doing things or do you like finding and completing all of the finer points of the design?
      I hope you find this helpful.

4. Luke Alden

Luke Alden Member

Hi Muhamed!

Sorry I missed your response, it is very good and interesting.

The second question that you have said to use was intended as more of an explanation of the first. We intend the answers to be plot-able on a graph (like the one shown above)

The context of this whole exercise is to allow a designer/engineer to indicate what they like rather than their capabilities. Does this make sense?