• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Car using Magnets

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by JasonJoss, Jul 12, 2011.

1. JasonJoss

JasonJoss Member

It could be a crazy question but I am thinking about designing a car using magnets on the 4 wheels. The magnets can be place in between axle shafts with the boots or the U joints :idea: . Also between the wheels and the axles shafts as well. What would you think about it? :roll:

3. Allfat

Allfat Member

What are the magnets accomplishing? Are you using it as a braking system? Is it a breakaway if you get in a crash?

Your post is very vague and it depends a lot on what exactly you mean. Electromagnetic brakes have been done before on super fast cars to reduce heat build-up on the brake system. Is that what you are talking about?

4. OllieT

OllieT Member

You could also use it to power the vehicle. It would be kind of like the brake idea but you would create an oscillating pattern that would cause the axle to turn. Although I don't know what power would be capable with a system like that and on top of that how much energy it would take to power a system.

5. Harshad

Harshad Member

Yes, Quite crazy question,

Please put your requirement in broader way.

I am sorry, I could not understand,what exactly you are looking for.

Regards,
      Harshad Patel

6. JasonJoss

JasonJoss Member

Thanks guys, I'm sry I didnt explain properly :(
      The brake is one of the use of it as well. ;)
      Yea, my idea was about this bit. At first, for every physical contact between the axle shafts with the main structure I will replace by putting electromagnetic, these magnets can also be used to become brakes. To power the vehicle, I am thinking about the motor structure. I did not come up with any calculation yet, it just roughly an idea tho :idea:

7. JasonJoss

JasonJoss Member

anyone with the same idea here?

8. avinash_kak

avinash_kak New Member

Hello,

I have an idea of using magnets in brakes..
      You have to have magnet at a point or location where the magnetic effect does not affect the axle or any part of the car.. lets say near the wheels or drum... then there has to be a solenoid on the other side so that when current is passed, it acts as magnet. so when you wanna apply brakes, u gotta supply current to the solenoid. they tend to attract and join stopping..

this is better.. u have magnet lining onto the wheels. another drum containing similar lining but with metal pieces wound with wires. so on supplying current, they tend to attract and brake is applied. if u r using this u gotta have some other way of applying brakes like handbrake. i think this mite work out

regards
      avinash

9. michmichyo

michmichyo Member

Hello Jason,

The idea is very interesting but you should be very careful to the part that will carry the car.

On the first hand, you cannot put the load on the axle, the motor usually don't like load, they prefer axial torques.
      On the other hand, you can think about a system without any contact where the axle 'levitates' in your magnetic field. This works well, but the system is far from simple and you will need automation skills (loops of control....)

BR,

Michmich