• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Casting of camshaft/crankshaft questions?

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by tushard, May 23, 2011.

1. tushard

tushard Member

hello everyone,
      i am new to this forum. i need some information about casting. Can someone please tell me which casting method (die casting or sand casting) to use for manufacturing of camshaft and crankshaft?and which gating system to use for camshaft and crankshaft manufacturing? i have one project where there are 3 cams on camshaft so will there be single gate or multiple gates shall i use for it? I need this info very urgently so please please please help me out.
      thanks in advance.

3. rushinpatel

rushinpatel Active Member

Re: need help about casting

i read your quary then i will suggested u following idea about casting

1. for cranckshaft -you use centrifugal casting
      because crancksaft is very long so u use vertical centrifugal casting method its best for its production and
      2.for camshaft both method are best one is die casting and other is send casting but from my idea send casting is best for camshaft
      and in centrifugal casting method u use multiport getting system bcause it is very effective compare to one getting system
      where as in die casting or send casting method u use any method both are right but here u cast camshaft so 1 gate is inaf
      and genarally getting system are depend upon the geometry of the cast product

4. tushard

tushard Member

thank you rushin...thats so nice of you to answer that que

5. rushinpatel

rushinpatel Active Member

you welcome

6. Re: need help about casting

A number of things to concider concerning a camshaft casting, first to think of is,how many do you want to make? If the number is only 1 or 2 the least expensive way to make this part will be to machine it from billet.The reason for this is because of the price of making a pattern. the next least expensive is sand casting,unless the part is to be cast from steel,then it will be "no bake" or air set. Decide what metal/alloy you wish to use and consult a nearby founrdy that casts that metal,that foundry will guide you on the best way to proceed with your prodject

7. tushard

tushard Member

thank you Mr. Douglas for your time. This casting i am asking about is huge is no. so its by die casting. could you please tell me how many gate should be sufficient for the same. the camshaft is having 3 cams

8. Re: need help about casting

I can design a gating system for you,the things I need to know is first,what metal you wish to use,Iron,steel, aluminum or brass, Second, I will need to see a working drawing. The gating for a part is unique for the casting you wish to make. Many things are to be concidered, First and formost is money,how much do you wish to spend?
      If this is a one time part you may not wish to spend a great deal,if however you anticipate a large number of castings,we can go thru the process of setting up tooling for getting you the finest part for the least amount of money.Or is production somewhere in the middle, a few each month perhaps?
      I get the feeling that this is a proto-type part,would perhaps wood be good enough for you just to get a feel for what you want? I can send you my email so you can send a drawing and we can go from there.
      Regards,
      Ben

9. tushard

tushard Member

thank you Mr. douglas for your efforts. The metal i am using is steel..i will be so nice of you if you can tell me your email. My email is tushardamodare7@gmail.com

10. brijs

brijs Member

rushin thanks for giving information about casting