• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Cederic Lynch's 93% efficient electric motor

Discussion in 'Mechanical Design news & events' started by Pete, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Just got told about this at work:

"Walace and Gromits world of invention" (UK only... i think)

I think the series has been featuring inventors and inventions, and this episode features an electric motor which uses a "continuously variable electric field" and is upto 93% efficient. His motor came in 2nd and 4th in the Isle of Man Electric TT race.

Not being a motor person, this sounds quite impressive, so thought i'd put it out there :)

Also. did you know that electric cars have been around for around 150 years?!

Anyone see any others in this series? Any good?

3. johntargell

johntargell Member

Way back in 1979 or 1980 we competed against Cedric in the 1st Lucas Electrathon at Donnington park. He was obviously a "mad inventor" and had made his own motor then from empty baked bean tins and araldite and cured it in his Mum's oven! It was definitely a lot smaller than our motor, yet just as powerful - I can't remember where he finished but I seem to recall he did pretty well.