• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Ceramics and Secondary Casting

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by Pete, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Sep 2009

I'm working on a product at the moment which will be slip cast from a ceramic, but it requires some accurate holes in it for a hinge. Ceramics manufacture is a hit and miss affair at the best of times as you have to take into account the shrinkage and the skill of the manufacturer. I've heard mentioned a few times the idea of cutting a rough hole in the ceramic before it's fired, then casting a resin or similar plug into the hole which can then be drilled or cast using a jig to achieve a more accurate location.

My question is just about the logistics of such a process. Has anyone done this or similar or can point me to some info on how this might work?

Thanks in advance!
    3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Nov 2009
      The ceramics that I have delt with havnt had to be that precise with respect to hole locations. Machineable ceramics might be your best bet. These can be green unfired, then machiened and fired, or machine and use type... Good Luck!

4. emstampa

emstampa Member

Feb 2010

Have you ever considered using a ZCorp prototype? The material is 98% plaster and out of all the 3d printers, it most resembles ceramic. In fact, there is a college who tweaked their ZPrinter to make ceramics. As far as casting, there are many companies that use Z Corp parts for master patterns. Not sure if that helps or not.