• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Climbing wall - Identification of components

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Climbingwall, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Climbingwall

Climbingwall New Member

Hello to all members!

I'm looking for specific names of 3 mechanical components from the video:

Component name 1: min 0:52 from the video
      Component name 2: min 1:01 from the video
      Component name 3 (the brake): min 3:53 from the video

Possibly. Does anyone also have a link to the 3 components?

I would be very grateful for any help!

PS:
      I am the mother of 3 boys who really want to have a rotating climbing wall in their garage.
      Unfortunately, I have no technical knowledge and therefore ask for your help. We are currently in the early stages of the project and are looking to see if we can implement it ourselves.

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Not super helpful, but a start, based on watching the sections of the video indicated:

Component 1 is some kind of hydraulic damping mechanism - probably rotary, with a sprocket that mates with the chain running down that side of the wall, but I can't say for sure. Basically, it's got oil or silicone or some other liquid in it that makes it hard to turn. It's tunable, meaning that the resistance can be adjusted (by component 2) somehow.

Component 2 is some kind of control that controls component 1 to adjust how hard it is to turn. I didn't really see anything that screams to me how this works, exactly - maybe electrical, maybe purely mechanical...

Component 3 looks like a simple mechanical stop, probably a pin or shelf or something. If there is weight on the wall section in question, the bottom will tilt in and engage the mechanical stop, and cannot move further.