• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Commercial Trash compactor

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by beho86, Oct 24, 2009.

1. beho86

beho86 New Member

Hello Guys,
      I am trying to design a commercial trash compactor with the following requirement: Capacity is 50 gallons , Compression Ratio is 20 to 1 , ram force 7 tons, cycle time is 20 seconds, Suggested dimensions 34" W, 22"D, 18"H

I found this online: http://www.wastecare.com/Products-Servi ... ations.htm

I need to design it on Solidworks, but I couldn't find any blueprints for the internal components, so I can start the design.

Thanks in advance,

3. MechEngineer

MechEngineer Member

I'm not sure that manufacturers of such products would allow blueprints of the inner workings to be freely available online.

Do you have an understanding of the fundamental components/mechanics of developing such a product? Does your client have one you can look at or any CAD models from current products?

If not, and if you're staring from scratch then what you really need to to is invest in buying a compactor and reverse-engineer it: study how it works, take the thing apart, look at the components and work out who the suppliers are (motor etc). Then you will have a better idea of how to design your own compactor.

4. beho86

beho86 New Member

I actually don't know how it works, other than it exerts force on the trash mass to compress untill the forces balance! but I don't know the internal details. I am designing it for a design class ( Not a real design).
      I found some of the kitchen trash compactors, but they are totally different, as the force is so small comparing to the commercial one.

Do you know how it works, or hand draft of the interior? I wanna start, but I cannot without having any idea about it.

Thanks

5. RemBrant

RemBrant New Member

Start with a 3 C's list:
      1) What dimensions/parameters does the design have to fit within? (Constraints)
      2) What do you want the design to do? performance? power? portable/static? (Criteria)
      3) What does it absolutely HAVE TO have/do to be successful? (Critical Aims)

Once you absolutely know the constraints, and critical aims, try to incorporate as much of the criteria as possible, and still meet the design parameters for a successful design. If you can get all the criteria into the design then great! Often much if the criteria are "wish list" items not directily related to the success of the design.

Choose a team, choose concepts, choose components, choose materials. Design several functional mechanism concepts first, choose one(or a combination of many) then package ergonomics around it.

Just a thought.