• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Companies with silly names.

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Apr 30, 2012.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Came across this one today:

"Cixi City Dafa Linker Factory" :D (http://www.dafalinker.com)

Just rolls of the tongue! Anyone else got any examples of companies with silly/bizarre/incomprehensible names?

3. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I know a Chinese restaurant called MY DUMP. Probably he wanted it to mean my dumplings but instead ended up calling it my dump. I hope the owner now knows what it means. Its silly he would name his shop without checking what it means in English first. I mean no one is that stupid.

I first thought maybe it’s a very good idea. People would be curious about how could a place have such a stupid name and then go in to find good food and become loyal customers to that shop. However, that is not what happens, I always see people just walk through the front of the shop and click a picture and laugh about it while walking away. No one really goes in to try anything.

4. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Hopefully, this doesn't lower the tone too much but Vauxhall Audi Group made me laugh a lot when I was a student intern visiting a trade show for my company, and there were loads of people walking around with namebadges that said, "Vag representive", or "Vag spokesman", or "Vag technical expert".

5. Mark_Armstrong

Mark_Armstrong Active Member

6. Mark_Armstrong

Mark_Armstrong Active Member

Somewhat off color story about web page names...

Several years ago I was working with a non-profit sports club and on their Internet message board I suggested they have a sports viewing party at an area restaurant called 'Big Al's'. Their web page is 'I Love big Al's dot com'.

When I posted the link, I was looked at oddly as: https://www.ilovebigals.com/ got continuously read as 'I love bi gals'...

I never lived it down.

7. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert

8. john12

Now whenever I see people online say something like "big-ass fans" I think of that cartoon where he said he moves the dash one word to the right. So this becomes, "big ass-fans".
      Childish I know but it always gives me a chuckle!

9. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

When I was a student on the way to the university, I often walked past one store called “healthy food”. But for some inexplicable reason, the food in this shop was presented in 2 windows and in another 10 windows a huge assortment of various alcoholic beverages was presented. Sometimes we joked: "I'll go buy a bottle of health." I do not consider myself an expert in marketing or healthy eating, but I think this is a strange name for a shop with alcohol. =)

10. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

There's a real estate company called the WTF Group. Unlike Big Ass Fans, I don't see anything that indicates that it's intentional.

11. john12

What's The (square) Footage?