• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Compound 4 bar linkage design

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by Hadia, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Hadia

Hadia Member

[​IMG]

So I have to design this linkage system.
      How it works is, when the link 1 receiving torque from the gear system is blocked from moving, the link 2 transfers it's torque to the next 4 bar linkage via link 3. When link 4 is blocked, the same thing happens.

What is confusing me thought is how is the torque transferred from the first 4 bar linkage to the second?
      In what ratio that is?
      And if say, I had to compare this compound 4 bar linkage with another linkage system, what calculations do I base the comparison on? Force distribution analysis?
      If yes, I need some confirmation of force distribution calculations I have been doing on this. Because I have no way of validating If I am going in the right direction.

Long story short.
      I need help with the force distribution calculations along linkages with its free body diagram.
      I need help with torque transfer mechanism in this linkage design.
      And I need some sort of method for comparison (even a software resource would help)

Looking forward to a reply. :confused:

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member

Posted this on LinkedIn, but not sure if you'll see it there, so reposting:

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]In my 30 second look at the image, I can't really tell what the heck is going on, but it seems that what you are looking for is basically how a planetary gearing system works. The rotational speed, and torque, of the sun, carrier, and outer gear, are related. The planets too, but I don't think you need that here. You need to specify 2 to calculate the third. Fortunately for you, you are dealing with the simple case where one is fixed, so the calculations are simple.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]The values in the table near the top of[/COLOR]http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/gear7.htm[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)] should give you what you need. Remember, the gear ratio has inverse effect on the rotational speed vs the torque[/COLOR]