• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Constant Force spring vs Ratchet System clamping force

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Frankvftw, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Frankvftw

Frankvftw New Member

Hey Guys,

Have been studying the clamping force between the constant force spring vs ratchet system. Trying to attach a clamp to the box spring of my sofa underneath the cushion where you sit.

Was wondering if its better to do a constant force spring vs ratchet system in terms of cost which is kind of a dumb question because I feel like the ratchet system would cost more. But the constant force spring would have too little clamping force. Any advice?

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Impossible to answer your question without knowing what the clamp is supposed to accomplish.

4. Frankvftw

Frankvftw New Member

Sorry for the late reply! Its for a dumb school project! Looking for the best type of clamping force, for attaching to the front of various sofa (box springs) beneath the cushion.

Its a glorified cup holder on your sofa with a clamp. That clamps to the front of your sofa.

It needs to be able to clamp between the range of 12 to 24inches and strong enough not to be kicked off by accident.

I was debating with myself which would be easier to design a ratchet system with quick release or a constant force spring.

The ratchet system would take up less space in imo, but the constant force spring is easier to design around. Any advice be appreciated!

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Why a ratchet? I would think a screw clamp would be simpler. Or perhaps an overcenter latch combined with something adjustable for the other end.

A constant force would not be best. For clamping something like this, you need something where the force increases rapidly as the applied load tries to pull it loose. With a constant force spring the load won't increase because it's, well, constant.