• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Corrosion resistance Al6061 & Brass

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Jean-François, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jean-François

Jean-François New Member

Hello everyone,

My name is Jean-François and I am a new comer on this forum.
      I do not kwow if my question will match the forum topics but since I saw a few topics about material corrosion I guess it is.

At the moment, I am designing coupling guards that will be used in a marine environment (offshore).
      I am given the choice between the 2 following materials : ASTM6061 / BRASS and I am asked to choose the best one regarding corrosion resistance... Unfortunately I did not manage to find any direct comparison between the two materials for corrosion resistance on the Internet.

Would anyone have enough experience to tell me which one is best ? The icing on the cake would be to have an official technical reference document, but from what I found on the Internet that may be very difficult to find.

Thank you very much for your help ;)

Jean-François

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I'm no expert, but a few thoughts:

1. Are you planning on coating the aluminum/brass? That will probably have an impact.

2. What hardware are you planning on using with your part? My understanding is that stainless steel, for example, doesn't play well with aluminum.

3. What alloy of Brass are you considering? Apparently performance varies quite a bit. Check out the first few links for this search:
      https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourcei...&ie=UTF-8#q=brass+corrosion+resistance+marine

As a first guess, I'd say you're probably pretty safe with anodized 6061, but, again, I'm no expert.