• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • cost of sintering compared to injection moulding of plastics

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by kennethveenenbos, Jan 29, 2010.

1. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

I was going from your comment where you said Sintered Metal in your first line! However like I stated usually and I have yet to see where DMLS is more expensive when created a tool insert for injection molding. Now I do agree if doing thousands of anything you will want to stay with Injection Molding even using a RP tool in possibly bronze alloy or even aluminum. Either of which can also be build using DMLS and even CNC.

SLA resins have come a long way, it all depends on the end application right !

They have the term Additive Manufacturing now, depending on quantity you can save money but if having to do metal casting your tooling may be more expensive then the whole process for dmls.

I agree there are certain times where DMLS is not the correct application and or process for certain projects, I'd be the first to tell you what would be your easiest and most inexpensive way!

3. LinkedIn Gopher

The Sintered Metal Application I was talking about initially was compressed powdered metal followed by sintering not DMLS. So we are talking about two very different processes and production goals. I am sorry for the confusion I have caused.

BTW I have a possible application where making some parts using DMLS would allow me to go to the next step in the development at lower cost. I may contact you off line about this.

4. LinkedIn Gopher

You are welcome, will link and have sent you e-mail as promised.

5. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

I am unclear as to what we are talking about here.

the meaning of "injection molded plastic" is clear, but the metal replacements are what?

metal injection molded?
      http://www.gknsintermetals.com/technology/mim.htm
      (no ties to this company, they just had a pretty website)

powder metal?
      http://www.symmco.com/NewFiles/pmprcss.html
      (I have used this vendor and they do good work in my experience)

Or if you need metal to replace plastic why not die cast?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_casting

Anyway, which one are we talking about?

6. GPIprototype

GPIprototype Member