• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • curving angled corners

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by bloodfx, Jun 14, 2013.

1. bloodfx

bloodfx New Member

Hey I am not sure if the is the write place to ask, but I,m having trouble curving corners correctly.
      How do curve these corners correctly or what is the calculation please?
      [​IMG]

3. bloodfx

bloodfx New Member

4. suryanshastri

suryanshastri Member

If you can handle auto CAD,you can easily solve your problem. Draw a perpendicular lines to 2 sides of corner make them intersect at point hold point of rounder at intersection & draw an arc.

5. fishon91

fishon91 Member

Not sure if you're basing the curve of a known radius of the circle or off a distance from the edge.
      nor do I know how familiar you are with trig. Let me know what data you do know as what data you are trying to find and I should be able to help a little more.
      here a link to the trig functions you, or atleast I, would use:
      http://www.college-cram.com/study/trigonometry/chapter/angle-functions/

6. fishon91

fishon91 Member

Actually, I got to thinking about this a little more, and I'm not sure if I'm oversimplifying this for you or not, but I went ahead and made a small instructional picture to show... (I had too much time on my hands)
      [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. AaronSanders

AaronSanders New Member

I know ProE software it definitely helps to get accurate curving angled edges with 3D effects but one must have great command on this tool.

8. Randall Wink

Randall Wink Member

If you're using AutoCAD, the command is "fillet" When executed, the program will ask for the radius of the fillet which you can input as from 0 to the shortest of the two lines.
      If you're concerned about machining a pocket with milling machine, the radius of the corner will be 1/2 the diameter of the cutter used to cut the pocket. If the pocket is 1 inch (25.4 MM) deep, then the radus should slightle larger than 1/2 of the depth or use a cutter diameter that is slightly bigger than the depth of the pocket. Anythng smaller has a chance of breaking when machining the corner.
      If you involved in sheetmetal, the inside radus should be about the same as the material thickness; bigger for harder materials and smaller for softer materials. Some materials are brittle and don't do well in beings, FX 3000 series aluminum bends well while 6000 series breaks in the corner being bent the same way.

9. nefthymiou

nefthymiou Member

Curving Rectangle Hand Method

Hi I saw just today your post .I do no know if you have allready sole the problem ... But I thing you need a -not CAD- method to use. So I am sending a Hand Method.
      Generic Graphical Method applicable for any case of Rounding

[​IMG]

1. You have the A B C D and you want to Round the C Angle with R=30 mm
      2. Draw the Yellow lines 1 and 2 PARALLEL to BC and CD in a Distance of 30 mm
      3. At the common point of lines 1 & 2 is the CENTER of your R=30 Cricle
      4. That is All

[​IMG]

Example with Circle
      1. Draw Lines A B and and Cirle C (R=150)
      2. Again we want a Radius R=30mm
      3. Write the Yellow Lines Nr 2 in a distance 30 mm and the Yellow Circle Ry=150+30=180
      4. At the section points Draw the desired r=30 Curve .

10. AlexKolzh

AlexKolzh New Member

It's easy. Just draw parallel lines at the distance from each edges equal to required radius. The intersection points of these lines will be center of circle.