• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Custom design connection between steel plates [student question]

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by MartinR, Nov 6, 2012.

1. MartinR

MartinR Member

Hello, it is my first post here, I am looking for good advices in my student project. I need ways to connect two steel plates both 6x60 but the challenge is, it must be demountable and without any violations of structure both plates. It should carry the load of 20 kN.

I will be greatful for any good advices, hope to see a lot ;)

Thanks guys.

3. Hello Martin,
      Welcome to the forum

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

There are many ways to connect two steel plates. You need to be more specific regarding loads, geometry, eased of disassembly, etc., before anybody can offer any useful advice.

5. MartinR

MartinR Member

As I mentioned in my first post, the connection should withstand 20 KN in stretching. Both plates are this same rectangles 6 x 60.
      Thanks for help ;]

6. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

How thick are the plates?

Do they mate on the 6x60 faces? Does the force try to pull them apart? Or slide them side to side?

7. MartinR

MartinR Member

Yes they mate on faces, and the force pull them apart. 6x60 is a dimension of cross-section, I got only this is my information , so I think that 6 is a hight and 60 is a lenght.

8. MartinR

MartinR Member

Any propositions ? I will be glad for any ways which can connect to steel plates which doesn't affect structure of both plates.

9. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

Almost any type of connection will effect the plates in some manner. It is controlling or understanding the connection to make sure failure won't occur and factor of safety is met. The easiest solution is bolts, which may need washers depending on materials, thicknesses to ease stresses. Material properties are also important watch out for corrosion if material properties are different (Steel and aluminum). Check to make sure no major stress concentration will occur around bolt and that material behind the direction of pull is adequate to support the load.

Check this source for some bolt and fastener design
      http://www.egr.msu.edu/~harichan/classes/ce405/chap5.pdf

10. Shanthalal

Shanthalal New Member

How to oint two steel plate

Two steel plat can joint with bolting by fish plate either sides.you have to select the bolts and the fish plate according to application of the job.

11. MartinR

MartinR Member

I choosed 2 ways from field of 10 possible ways. The first is simple, use additional plate and 4 bolts easy to verify and works good. The second one is much more advanced because it uses electro magnes and I have no idea how to verify this connection, I mean how strong current is needed and how many rolls. Any ideas ?