• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Custom Sofa any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by gemma.windsor, Apr 18, 2011.

1. hey all!

I recently purchased a sofa from http://www.fashion4home.co.uk/ this is what it looks like in the picutre in the link below

http://www.fashion4home.co.uk/camden-3-seat-sofa.html#!Color=Red&Material=Microfibre

however I want to remove that regular legs of it and put wheels onto it like an office, I want to create a movable sofa ( don't ask why it's part of a very complicated art project) anyway I was wonder what would I need to do to be able to make them withstand the pressure of the couch and 3 people sitting onit?

anyadvice would be great :)

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Sounds fun! Looks like you're going to need a castor right in the middle - i see there's a strut right there to stop it from sagging in that area.

Have you got a photo of the underside? I'd think you'll need a decent structure there - something rigid to mount the 5 castors on.

4. what do you mean by a castor?

no I don't have digital camera disposable to me at the moment to take a photo of it, so I guess all I can give you for the mean time are retail picutres!

what worries me that most is that I don't want it to colapse in on it'self so I'm really tryn to find out how best to do this that it handles the pressure of three people sitting onit!

5. GarethW

6. hahaha sweet deal thanks man :)

7. GarethW

Glad to help. Let us know how things go with your project :)

8. aja

aja New Member

I would place the whole thing on a large wooden board (supawood or MDF) that covers the entire bottom area. Then place casters securely onto the bottom of that wooden board. You need to determine the maximum weight each caster can take - the supplier of the caster wheels can tell you that.

So three people, say 80kg's each, plus the mass of the sofa itself as well as the board, divided by the mass rating of each caster will tell you how many you need to use. As a factor of safety I would triple whatever you calculate because people will jump on it and before you look six people will get onto it - I mean it is a wheelie sofa, who can resist getting onto that, right?! :D :D :D

The reason I say this is that the wooden structure in sofa's/couches is usually really flimsy, especially considering it was never meant to take dynamic loading.

Rather put the sofa onto a "floor" that you wheel about as described.

Finally, charge people money to have a go at wheeling around... :mrgreen: