• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Death of the CD looms?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by kenny82, Nov 20, 2009.

1. kenny82

kenny82 Well-Known Member

Death of the compact disc as iPod boom forces CD maker to end production

I suppose we've all seen this coming. Quick - sell all your cd's on ebay before it's too late!!!!!

From the daily mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ction.html

3. matt_decat

matt_decat Member

[/quote]

For myself personally, this is the biggest issue with 'downloaded' music. Although I am not an 'audiophile' i can hear the difference between mp3 and CD audio, however i don't think that sites like iTunes will sell music in other formats. If they sold albums in formats such as .flac i would be less against the idea of stopping the production of CD, as it is still CD quality audio. The problem is, one .flac song is around 40Mb compared to 4Mb mp3s. This means that the demand for .flac songs will be virtually non existent as 99.99% of the population wants to fit as many songs onto their iPod as possible and mp3 formatted songs will let you fit 10 times more.

When you compare audio to movies, its quite interesting to see that there is such a demand for higher quality movies, in regards to both picture quality and sound quality, however the demand for music is for smaller, lesser quality formats. Audio is one of the few areas (that i know of) that the general public want a poorer quality of.

Another reason why I'm against stopping the production of CDs is because you get more than just the CD/music you get an experience. I'm sure you have all been in a store and just browsed the CD/record section for a while, not looking for a certain album in particular, but just seeing what there is and what catches your eye, only to find yourself walking out with another addition to your collection. I dont want to press 'Search' and have the website give me something, i want to have the experience of looking for a CD. Also I'm a huge fan of the cover art on CD and i enjoy flicking through the lyrics booklets looking at the rest of the album art. Sometimes when I'm sitting down listening to a CD I flick through the book reading the lyrics of the song and I actually realize what the lyrics are saying and the meaning of the songs rather than just hearing a bunch or words put together. Downloaded CDs don't give me that same experience, you cant sit down and flick through lyrics, instead you must look them up online. There will be no more cover art to go along with the album, and I hate my current collection of burnt CDs, they all look rubbish/sloppy with my hand writing all over them.

Someone PLEASE stop CDs from dying!

4. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

I feel similarly about film/laserdisc/ dvd. I much prefer Laserdisc to dvd since it is uncompressed and therefore has no compression artifacts. I have worked in inkjet printing and unfortunately am very aware of the compression artifacts in dvd's. Unfortunately no one is making laser discs anymore.