• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Delrin ring rotating on a delrin shaft, tolerances and recommendations

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by deffie, Sep 18, 2013.

1. deffie

deffie New Member

Hello everyone, I'm looking for documentation on delrin mechanisms, especially about delrin sliding on delrin in mechanisms exposed to weathering and dirt; in particular I'm designing a delrin ring which should rotate freely on a delrin shaft while leaning on a bevel of the same shaft. I've read about the use of grooves to catch and expel dust from the mechanism but I'm lacking informations about tolerances.

Thank you,
      Giacomo.

3. Barbarpapa1

Barbarpapa1 New Member

Hello Giacomo

It would be helpful, if You could give us more informations. Such as approx. shaft diameter, ring width, load and speed of rotation (rpm). It would be interesting, if parts will be machined from POM blocks, or will they be moulded with injection moulding process. I'm also wondering if noise could be a problem in Your aplication. If it is so, than I wouldn't recommend slidning Delrin part on other Delrin part. Such combination tends to generate noise, they're squealing. Oiling or greasing would not help in such case. If You need POM part sliding on other POM part, then use two different types of POM. One part should be from POM monopolymer (Delrin) and other part should be made from POM copolymer (Hostaform). It will be even better, if one part could be made from PA, but in Your case (weathering) this could be problematic.

Kind regards
      Jože

4. deffie

deffie New Member

Hi Joze,
      thank you for your kind reply, shaft diameter is about 20 mm, ring will be sized to fit, parts are machined.

The rotations are occasional, never over 360° and there's no need for any precision, the only need is that the mechanism keeps working.

Best regards,
      Giacomo.