• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design a small pet uphill trolley HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Rat Lover, May 2, 2013.

1. Rat Lover

Rat Lover New Member

May 2013
      I have nothing to do with mechanical engineering and have been looking for ways to help out one of my pet rats.

I was wondering if anyone could help me design an aid for my pet rat that has hind leg degeneration. I have a long slope that connects levels within the cage that he no longer can climb on his own. I thought I would train him to climb on some kind of trolley and was thinking his weight would release a brake and a weight would pull it up the slope. the tricky part (for me anyway) is getting the trolley and weights back to their original positions,the trolley at the bottom of the ramp and the weight back up to its start position. The rat can climb down without any aid on its own. Obviously, both up and down need to move fairly slowly.

Can anyone help?
    3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Sep 2010
      If your mechanism is to lift the rat up but he climbs down on his own, then you need to add energy into the system, i.e. it needs electricity or some other power source.