• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design for Multiple Gantry Cranes to Operate in the Same Area

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by moss2, Jul 25, 2013.

1. moss2

moss2 New Member

Hello all :)

You're going to hate me as I'm about to ask a very silly question here. As it says in my profile, I'm a student, but in software engineering and not mechanical engineering. But I need to come up with a proof of concept model for the mechanical part of my design. The problem is, I think I've chosen an imposssible design now, and it's getting very late in the day to suddenly scrap everything and start again with an idea which actually works.

I also worry that you're going to call the XY problem on this, but here goes. I'm designing a project which requires objects to hang from the ceiling, and be mobile around the ceiling. Imagine if you will, an large airport scene with lots of "flying" model planes which have the ability to cross over each other's flight paths. This is what I am trying to achieve, only on a bigger scale.

The other problem is that the design, although currently only modelled on a small scale, must have the ability to be scaled up to full size, which would be exactly 15 objects suspended from a false ceiling, a bit like 15 gantry cranes which have the ability to cross over each other's paths. Each must be able to carry a load of up to 90kg.

And I'm actually tearing myself apart right now. I can't think how to make it possibly work. I've thought about various different types of rails/track, electromagnets, cars on top of the false ceiling which hold electromagnets....but 90kg is a lot for an electromagnet, in practical terms.

I'm guessing this is going to have to a rail type design. But please, does anybody have any ideas? I've been a complete idiot and attempted the solve the impossible, haven't I? :(

It's all about showing off the code behind modelling various heavy objects on the end of a variable length rope which swings around, so ensuring that they don't hit each other, just get very close.

Does anybody have any ideas how to solve this? Thank you so much.

3. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

4. moss2

moss2 New Member

Thank you so much for your help! It was indeed very helpful - I had not heard of those before. Thanks again :)

5. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

mushrooms

This could be done with a system similar to a rubics cube flattened out from the inside out. actual ceiling would be a bunch of inverted T's - a pillar with a big square plate on the end. these would be arranged in a square grid with a small gap between squares. several robots would run around on top of the squares, between pillars, with the cable hanging down through the gap. signals would be wireless, power would be through surface of the squares and into the wheels or through brushes. if you use omniwheels then the robots can go either x or Y. The possible paths are limited to the grid, not an infinitely variable x-y, although if you had an arm below the ceiling it could be as long as half the grid pitch and that would allow infinitely variable positioning. If you don't understand it send me an E-mail and I will send you a sketch.