• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design Help For Rotating A Radio Tower?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by TowerTwister, Mar 6, 2014.

1. TowerTwister

TowerTwister New Member

I need help on selecting the proper thrust bearing to be used for rotating a guyed-radio tower. The radio tower weighs approximately 20,000 pounds. There are three (3) rotating guy wire rings which allow the guy wires to support the horizontal loads - so the bottom bearing should be primarily axially loaded. I plan on having a steel base plate for the tower to bolt to and a sprocket/chain on the thrust bearing to allow the electric motor torque to rotate the tower. The tower will rotate at approximately 1 rpm. The bearing of course needs to be weather proof and maintenance free. The tower face or width is 24".

Any help in type or size would be appreciated.

3. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is for a one-off hobby project or a product. If it is a product then have a talk to http://www.dynmetal.co.uk/

They manufacture bronze bearings and have successfully rotated a multi-story building! A spherical bearing seat will give location, alignment and rotation. They can use self-lubricating bronze, greased, oil lube or hydrostatic.

Might be too expensive a project for a one-off though, worth asking?