• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design of a Water Control System

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by abrahamalumind, Feb 12, 2013.

1. abrahamalumind

abrahamalumind New Member

Hi

I am thinking of making a mobile barrier system for preventing rain water flooding my agricultural property. The design would involve using extruded sheets (100mm thick) of aluminium which are held in a frame. The completed assembly would have the sheets placed alongside each other vertically to collectively form a bigger section and this section would be slotted into the frame.

My question is the design calculation of this system. What are the design criteria that I should consider? I have considered Mass moment of inertia and torsional constant; what else do I need to consider in ensuring that the design system does not fail.

Thanks

Here is a similar system
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ConnectUTS

ConnectUTS Active Member

Why are you using 100mm (4" thick) plates to make the barrier. Sounds like a heck of a lot of aluminum. If you look at the barriers you show in your pictures they appear to be made from sheets of plywood or other similar composite wood product with a steel frame work which has lightening holes.

Do you have a sketch showing your design concept?

Niel

4. TomD

TomD Member

Abraham, if you truly want to do this as a one-time solution for your own property, you might just contact the people already doing this.

Your calculations must bear in mind the total pressure which is dependent on the amount of water you are actually holding back. Failure of a half-baked system can be more devastating, if not outright dangerous, than investing in a tested solution.

Tags: