• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • design of compression spring

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by adapa, Apr 15, 2010.

1. adapa

adapa Member

hello, can any one help me to design of compression spring.

inputs: load:20N , Compression required 20mm

3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

There are several other factors that need answering such as length, diameter, and deflection. I suggest you google lee spring, century spring, and smalley spring. They have fantastic tools that allow you to plug in your requirements and can help you select a spring.. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

-Mark

4. adapa

adapa Member

Actually load and compression length is sufficient to design a spring I think so,because when u are designing a machine the inputs u are getting is load and compression required.remaining input like spring D/d ratio we have to assume but it should have a valid reason.

5. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Exactly. The intent of my post was that more info was required. Good luck in your spring search.

6. VHileman

VHileman Member

Lee Spring has tons of good design information. When you specify the spring, it is in your best interest to specify the wire diameter, OD, number of coils, end conditions (ground or square) and free length. Don't just spec a load and a deflection because you will leave too much of the design up to the supplier. As I recall piano wire (B) is a good material to use. You should also check the torsional stress. If the stress is too high, then the spring will stress relax and/or creep. Make sure that the spring does not compress to the solid height. Do you have a spec limit on the load or the deflection? Do you have a quality goal for either?

7. adapa

adapa Member

thank u very much for ur answer. but my main problem is , i have to design springs in different applications. for example when i am developing a new concept. my application is the total assly(punching tool assy) has to rest and guide on four compression springs.the spring has to take the load and it will come back to its original position. in this condition i am getting the inputs are load and how much the spring has to deflect.at that time how can i choose the wire dia. and od of spring.and what is the max.applicable load on the spring.etc.this type of cal i required. if any one knows how to handle this problem.plz help me.

8. frleb1

frleb1 New Member

Like VHileman just said earlier,on the site of the company :Lee spring,you can easily found all information you need on different spring and figure wich one to use.(spring lenght,spring rates,loads,etc.)
      On the website of Mcmaster.com and Associated spring you can also found some springs...
      Hope it help.

Frank

9. Southern Springs

Southern Springs Member

Ref Compression Spring design

Hi. I am the chief design engineer at Southern Springs & Pressings. I can possibly help but it seems like you need several solutions so I would need a fuller spec. Happy to help in any way I can. This is my direct email address if you are uncomfortable issuing your spec publicly:
      david@southernsprings.co.uk