• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design of tiny CO2 cartridge.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by chrysalis, Sep 26, 2013.

1. chrysalis

chrysalis New Member

Hi all,

I am at the earliest stage of a potential invention. Perhaps, the most important component would be a tiny vessel which should contain around 0.1 to 0.05 grams of CO2 thus supplying circa 20 to 30ml of CO2 when breached, operating at temperatures of between 0 and 35 degrees centigrade and an operating pressure of ambient pressure. If I am correct in understanding that CO2 has a critical temperature of around 31 degrees centigrade where the pressures increase dramatically then I could potentially re-define the operating temperature to withing a few degrees less of that maximum.

The rate at which the gas is expelled may be a lesser issue.

The size of the vessel is important for the overall design of the invention. The shape may be important too, if the diameter of the vessel were too great.

Optimally as small a vessel as 'practicable'.

Could anyone give an opinion on the minimum size of vessel which could be used?

Could anyone give an opinion on whether such a vessel could be manufactured?

Could anyone give an opinion on the thickness of steel or aluminum that might be used or has anyone any other suggestions for materials?

Could anyone give an opinion on anything that they might consider relevant or important?

Could anyone speculate for example on the manufacturing difficulties that might be involved?

Could anyone speculate on likelihood that such a component could be mass produced for cents or even fractions of cents?

Regards and many thanks for any consideration.

Chris