• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design Project

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Torqued, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Torqued

Torqued New Member

Hello everyone,

I just found you guys, but I am going to be around for awhile. This site surrounds my career, hobbies, and a majority of my interests. I will be lurking around and checking stuff out, but I have a question to start off with maybe I can get some input.

I am a student at a technical college, and for my final I need to design a mechanical project using Autodesk Inventor 2010 and a project using Solidworks 2009. I am just looking for some ideas. I have about 6 weeks to complete these projects, part time, as I will be working on my other studies. They don't need to be to complex, but I do want to WOW the instructor with the project's innovations. Are there any ideas out there? I need to get started right away. Any links, pictures, discussions on the board, personal experience, or questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and see you around the site.

:D

3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, great bunch of peeps here.

As for your project, I would look into some simple machines to model and detail out, and then wow the professor by describing the functions of each component and how it realtes to the overal mechanism. Point our pros and cons about the mechanism, then pop in some pictures u find online using the principals of the mechanism in everyday life....

Good Luck.

-Mark

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Hi Torqued - a warm welcome to the forum :D

Your project sounds fun. Do you have to come up with a completely new mechanical design for something, or is it a matter of modeling / demonstrating existing mechanisms as an exercise. If it's the latter, then Mark's suggestion sounds really good. If not, then do you have a more detailed design brief?

5. Torqued

Torqued New Member

It is basically a project to display my modeling skills, but any inventivness is major plus.

It took me a great deal of thought, and I decided to just model my own take on an existing assembly.

I haven't quite decided what yet, but I will know by the weekend.

6. johntargell

johntargell Member

Hi Torqued - I would model a simple 2 stroke engine - or if you can manage it in time, a 4 stroke! You can then animate it in SW and run an avi file to impress viewers

Good luck John T

7. akshay

akshay Member

Hi Torqued, why dont u model a robot or any robotic arm. Perhaps u can run ur imagination and design it with great variations and then animate its working. Perhaps I wud hav modeled a robot based on rocker bogie mechanism and then animate it...I will be great fun.... :)