• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design refinement

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Cardboard, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Cardboard

Cardboard Guest

basically i am looking to build the grey components of this, its a bolt on unit that will allow you to drag the gold legs around using a cordless drill. you plug a standard cordless drill in at the top, (the bracket is symbolic and not representative) this drives the long rod which in turn drives the wheels. the second rod which goes from the back of the drill to the edge of the unit steers it. i have tried to show you how this works in the pictures.

essentially i need to gear the thing down from 1000rpm from the drill to 60 rpm on the wheels but also transmit 120Nm of torque. i can either use the gearing system shown or a worm gear?

also i need to find a CV joint small enough but capable enough of coping with it.

does any of that make sense? lol? any ideas thanks guys

[​IMG]

3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

4. Cardboard

Cardboard Guest

LEGEND this is fantastic! thank you very much!

5. mvalenti

Not a problem, glad I could help.

6. Cardboard

Cardboard Guest

just need to get my hands on a 3d model of a drill but im struggling to source this!

7. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Is this any good? It's just the body, but modelling on a chuck shouldn't be too difficult.

8. mvalenti

Food for thought on this... Some time back I designed a piece of equipment that utilized a dewalt drill. We did this for prototype purposes only thinking it would be quick. Well turned into a modeling nightmare. I then tossed the whole idea and went to a website that you can buy drill parts for, ordered what I needed and modeled simple bracketry to hold the parts in place so prototype testing could begin. If i rack my brain i might be able to come up with the website, but i have taxed my brain quite a bit today. ;) i'm almost out of ram....

Brain... 486 dx2-66 8 megs of ram 80 mb hard drive... lol!

9. mvalenti

10. Cardboard

Cardboard Guest

thanks guys! yeah essentially i only need the 3D model for when i present this and render it up. for now ive been measuring the drill i have in my possession. i have emailed dewalt and was told to write them a letter requesting permission for 3D models so hopefully they will come back to me positively. any drill will do as its simple to edit my dimensions to fit the drill and then edit them back depending on what drill is purchased!

I have found numerous drills on the web that i could purchase, but they are expensive and many of them are different formats, i only have solidworks or NX5. i did find 3 free ones but all in a format i was unable to access :(

the tool parts website looks fantastically useful however! thanks