• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design Simplicity

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Hass, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hass

Hass Member

I am a mechanical engineer by background. Even before starting my engineering degree my ambition was to create new designs. After finishing my engineering postgraduate studies and being involved in engineering for about 10 years, I was convinced design is the way forward for me.
      In my believe design is for industry what alphabet is for literature. Everything so far created or invented has some kind of design. But sometimes I ask myself why design is less appreciated and invested in. This was one reason I decided to do a more direct design course at Central Saint Martin, University of the Arts, in London.
      I take my design job very seriously. I tend to give my clients as much information as possible. To be honest I go as far as and just stop telling them their idea may not have a market. With two kids and like many other people I work for money too. This is the only reason I do not tell them their idea may not be a winner. Anyway ideas have their own sessions. What today is not sellable next year maybe.
      From the beginning of my design, I tend to consider manufacturing, assembly, maintenance and also the environment. However for me simplicity is one of the main decision factors in selecting the best design idea from a selection. Technically speaking I believe simple designs are better but there are times I ask myself do the consumers want simple design too. Aesthetically, it seems some consumers think design simplicity equals luxury. As an engineer simple design equals to good design for these reasons;
      -Simple design is easier for consumer to use.
      -At least in some cases simple design can be more functional.
      -A simple design is manufactured and produced more easily.
      -Simple design has less maintenance and repair time.
      -Sometimes simple designs cost less for consumer too.
      However, how far a designer can go to achieve this?
      Won’t over simplification give a cheap image to a design?
      What do you think? Where one draws the line for simplicity?

Thank you for reading.

Hass

3. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

I think it was Einstein who sad to make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      OK it wasn't Einstein, although he would have agreed with it. If you read "the psychology of everyday things" by Dr Norman at UCSD he will warn against faux simplicity - things that look simple with few buttons but require memorization of complex sequences.

You will know you have the correct solution to a problem when, after spending months working on it, someone looks at it and says something like "Duh, of course, how else would you do it? why did this take so long? its obvious."

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

5. Harshad

Harshad Member

Dear Sir,

This is my first reply in this forum.

Simplicity in design is always welcome because it give comfort in manufacturing and cost as you said. But, as a designer I believe, we must be oriented towards required criteria of end user. Criteria changes product to product. For example, If we think of Simple kind of Bike having less cost and higher millage. It may not be acceptable to market or end users, as aesthetic is one of the criteria to be satisfied. Similarly, if we design a Pen which is required 4 times turn of clip to get its point out. It will also create same image for end user. I would say, we shall treat design to meet all the relevant criteria required at user end rather than thinking for its simplicity in manufacturing or cost effective. An honest evaluation of design gives us best design as a result of evaluation process.

I tried to render my own thinking related to simplicity of Design.

Thanks & Regards,
      Harshad Patel - Gujarat, INDIA.

6. deepat

deepat Member

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. —Leonardo da Vinci

7. andrew_neil

andrew_neil Active Member

I believe it is a great thought.Simplicity does not mean it is easy but sometimes take a lot of dedication to do that.
      Thanks

8. nich

nich Active Member

i like that

9. other

other Member

I think simplicity is for outside(ID ), not inside.(MD)

10. lucabianchi

lucabianchi New Member

the best definition

11. alextiganik

alextiganik New Member

Simplisity is most difficult thing