• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Design Week Awards 2010 - Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Pete, Mar 5, 2010.

?

Which one would you vote for?

1. Apple iPod Nano

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    2. Kiran - by D Light Design

30.0%
    3. Flatliner lamps for Established & Sons

20.0%
    4. Ipod Shuffle

10.0%
    5. MacBook Pro

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    6. Mira 360 Magnetic

10.0%
    7. Colour Qube 9200 Series

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    8. Ferroguard for Matrasens

20.0%
    9. LED task light for Element

10.0%
    1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Hi all, just heard the familiar thump of my design week magazine arriving ever so gracefully on my doormat, and this week, it came with the results of the annual Design Week Awards. Baring in mind this is the Industrial Design Forum, I thought I’d highlight the winners from a couple of the categories.

Thoughts please!

Consumer Product Design

Joint Winners:
      Apple iPod Nano

"Apple's latest ultra-thin and sleek iPod Nano adds a video camera, a microphone and a speaker to the popular music player. The aluminium casing is available in nine colours and features a larger colour display screen, including a built-in FM radio with live pause and iTunes tagging."

[​IMG]
      Judges Comments:
      "It's in a different league. The shape is beautiful"

Kiran - by D Light Design

"The Kiran is a solar lantern created by product design consultancy D Light Design to provide a cheap and Green alternative to the use of kerosene lighting in rural Africa. An angled solar panel is in-built for a single day's charge that provides up to 8 hours of light. The lamp's casing is designed to resist hot and dusty environments, with a locking handle enabling multiple handling options.

[​IMG]

Judges Comments
      "It's a great idea. We love the simplicity. It provides a nice environmental aspect while still being functional"

Commeneded

Flatliner lamps for Established & Sons

“For Flatliner Jason Bruges Studio has interpreted a classic lamp by developing a thin black acrylic disc with 240 LEDs. The warm and functional light can be tilted to reveal the reverse side from which the pattern emits a yellow glow. Interactive and dimmable by the touch of your hand, it is available as a floor, table and suspension lamp.

[​IMG]

Shortlisted
      Ipod Shuffle
      [​IMG]

MacBook Pro
      [​IMG]

Mira 360 Magnetic

[​IMG]

Industrial Product Design

Joint Winners:
      Colour Qube 9200 Series

“The Colour Qube 9200 series is an environmentally friendly, multifunctional office printer. The high-sped, cartridge-free colour ink system cuts the cost of colour pages by up to 62% and greatly reduces the amount of waste. Ink can be added while the machine is running and the user interfaces offer video help. Jam clearances are lit up to aid accessibility.â€

[​IMG]

Judges Comments:
      “This is taking a step forward allowing clients to change their own behaviourâ€

Ferroguard for Matrasens

Metrasens approached Smallfry to develop the next generation of products to increase safety for hospital MRI facilities. It conceived the initial Ferroguard system, which alerts clinicians to any traces of ferrous metals. These can be dangerous as the central magnet of a MRI scanner has a powerful attraction to such metals. The solution is a robust and aesthetically pleasing product, incorporating all electrical systems into two main poles. A ‘traffic-light system’ was also integrated to provide clear warning for items detected and scale risk.
      [​IMG]

Judges Comments:
      This is a functional design piece with a nice execution.

Short listed
      LED task light for Element

Often lights generate high temperatures, reducing the light output and the lifespan. Humanscale has overcome this with the Element LED task light, which employs a single multi-chip LED. It also features a series of heat-dispensing metal fins that keep the light cool. In addition, the lamp is energy-efficient and constructed of recycled aluminium and plastic.

[​IMG]

3. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

See!? I got through a whole post without ranting about iPods!

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Although i did notice that one of the 25 judges does work for apple.................

5. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Just turned this one into a Poll! Vote for your favorite!

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Is the iPod nano really worthy of best Consumer Product? It's a nice product- granted; somehow satisfying to hold, though I'd question the ergonomics of the controls - my super large hands do find it slightly awkward to use.

It comes down to weather you view this product on its own as a stand alone product or an incremental evolution (the inclusion of a radio, microphone, video camera and a pedometer).

As a side point, does anyone know to what extent apple have looked at WEEE and RoHs legislation with the ipod? (Disassembly, modularity, reduce/reuse/recycle etc)

Personally, I’d like to see the top prizes go to new and innovative products which use new materials, or perhaps they have put effort into how the product is manufactured, where the materials are sourced from and processed etc, or solves a long standing problem or potential user need in an innovative and suppressing way!

I voted for the printer as it (to the best of my knowledge) takes a fresh approach to how a printer / copier should work, looking at both usability and environmental issues.

If it can eliminate the need for ink cartridges and therefore the plastic involved in manufacturing them - that's great. I also like that they have listened to customers feedback and thought about how it will be used and the common frustrations - allowing easy access and illuminating the interior to make it easier to clear paper jams!

... I’ll get back in my box now!

7. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

Well I just voted for the Colour Qube as well. An excellent idea. I read about this new ink a while ago and was waiting for it to 'hit the shelves'. As you say Pete it should be about more than just who has designed a cool looking box. I find design awards quite uninspiring usually. The German awards can be fun (iF and Red Dot) but even there you just see a lot of Apple, Panasonic and Samsung. Same with the IDEA awards...

Remember companies have to pay to enter (and then pay large amounts if they win to the awarding body) so many do not bother as they see not direct advantage. Many of my smaller customers , quite rightly, see no real benefit for the money spent. So these awards are by no means a reflection of the innovation currently going on in the UK.

That said I would vote for the new MacBook Pro just because of the excellent design for manufacturing involved and resulting sustainability advantages. I suppose there are many ways to mark a competition like this.

On the side point I think all companies have to deal with the same issues when it comes to WEEE - ie. it requires a lot of support from council waste collection and high street shops - not just the manufacturer. RoHs I don't this is an issue as all the suppliers are now conforming - I know of very few PCB connectors etc. that do not conform. One area (as I understand it) that Apple should be applauded is in battery replacement/ recycling. Correct me here if I am wrong.